Skip to main content

The Slow Binge

I'm not a good binger. Oh, I can binge a book, knocking down hundreds of pages in a day, but when it comes to TV...I can't do it. I love TV, always have, but I like to have some space between episodes of shows. Occasionally, I'll go two or three episodes of something in a row, but that's very very rare. Instead, I'm always on the slow binge, watching an episode a day or every other day or longer. Here are a few shows on I'm currently slow binging...

Game of Thrones - When we cut our cable a couple years ago, one consequence was not being able to keep up with this show as it aired. We'd watched the first 4 seasons, but missed the last 2. However, our current package gives us HBO and that fact, combined with The Ringer coming out with a new podcast called Binge Mode focusing on GoT, has lead me to go back and watch the show again from the beginning before getting to the stuff I haven't seen. I've really enjoyed going back to the start; I had forgotten some plot points and characters, but I also notice the threads that were put down through the benefit of hindsight. I've also really enjoyed listening to the corresponding episode of Binge Mode after watching the show - it's a really fun podcast (around 35 minutes per episode) that can get super in-depth on the series. Honestly, it's part of the reason why I'm taking my time going through the series - just watched the first episode of Season 2 this afternoon. I also checked A Feast For Crows out from the library, thinking I'll get back to reading the books before watching those corresponding seasons. Season 7 premieres on July 16, which is only a month away. I'm averaging an episode a day and have 49 to go...so I know I won't quite be caught up by then. Maybe by the time Season 7 ends, though! Either way, I am happy to have this show as part of my regular viewing rotation this summer.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Coincidentally, the most recent episode I've seen of this show is the first episode of Season 2. Maybe a little less coincidentally, I am also listening to a podcast for this show after every episode; Buffering the Vampire Slayer is a really fun podcast done by Jenny Owen Youngs and Kristin Russo, who bring a feminist, lesbian point of view to the series, as well as an original song at the end of each episode. Those songs are really good. Anyway, I started this rewatch of the series when it celebrated its 20th anniversary back in March. I came to the show in Season 2, and have never done a rewatch. I was a huge fan of the series and have had fun going back to the beginnings of the Scooby Gang. I only have 132 episodes to go, so who knows how long it will take me...plus, I'll eventually catch up to the podcast in real time (they are almost through Season 2 as I type this). I'm ready to see Cordelia become integrated with the group, the introductions of Spike and Drusilla and eventually Oz, and the Halloween episode, for which I've always had a soft spot.

Twin Peaks - I wanted to rewatch this series before the new season started up. I have very fond memories of watching this show with my friends at Penn State, always searching for a dorm TV where enough other people were interested; I especially remember walking out into the night after the crazy series finale, our voices echoing around the quad. I think I rewatched the first season some time in the 90s, but don't think I've seen the second season since I watched it live. Anyway, my student teaching took up a lot of my time and I only started my rewatch a few weeks ago. I finished the first season maybe two weeks ago, but haven't yet gotten to the second. It's not that I'm not interested either - the show is just as weird and compelling as it was back in 1990. And guess what? I've also been listening to a podcast after watching each episode (addictions, right?). The podcast is called Damn Fine Podcast and Ron Richards from iFanboy is one of the two guys running the show. It's a good pairing and I hope to restart both show and podcast this week.

Happy Endings - Hey, it's a show I've been slow binging without listening to a podcast afterwards! I jumped into the show during its second season (and wrote briefly about it way back on 2/14/12) and really fell in love. It's a show in the Friends mode, with six friends hanging out and getting into misadventures. Those six characters are well-defined and the cast is great (Elisha Cuthbert is awesome). I'd never seen the first season episodes and while it is definitely the weakest of the three seasons, I still think it's worth watching. And watch it you should, if you're looking for something fun. I started a few months ago and I only have 4 episodes left of the series...and I don't quite want it to end. I need to, though, because I have a lot of shows in the queue...

In the Queue - I got behind watching Arrow this year, so now that all of Season 5 is on Netflix, I need to go back and pick up where I left off (I have maybe 10 episodes I missed). I want to get to it soon, because I was really liking this season. Similarly, I fell behind on Supergirl and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and need to finish out their seasons. I've watched 6 episodes of Speechless and would like to watch the rest of the first season. After reading Seinfeldia last summer, I had jumped into a Seinfeld rewatch - I made it as the first episode of Season 3 before falling off, and I'd like to get back to it. I'm somewhere in the middle of Daredevil Season 2 and haven't yet seen Luke Cage or Iron Fist. I've been slow binging Cheers in spurts the last couple years...think I'm in Season 5? I'd plowed through 3 seasons of Adventure Time and would like to get back to it too. I still have two seasons of Bojack Horseman to watch and two of Better Call Saul and the last 7 episodes of Mad Men and so on. Oh yeah, I'd started a Young Justice rewatch too. I guess I should stop typing and turn something on, huh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Shuffle #413

Summer is here and I'm happy that it is. Jill finished school this week, but Grant and I have to go through Friday. I have the week off from my TTT course, so I'm going to catch up on some reading and TV. There was baseball I could watch yesterday and I can watch some again today, so you can bet I'll be doing that. Few things bring me joy more than baseball and a book in my lap for between innings. Here's today's ten... 1. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo)/The Decemberists (15) - last played on 8/19/15 2. Part One/Band of Horses (6) - last played on 5/7/16 3. Shame Chamber/Kurt Vile (5) - last played on 7/23/15 4. In the Eyes of My Friends/Sugar (2) - last played on 10/5/14 5. I Could Have Done This Myself/Lightspeed Champion (4) - last played on 9/1/14 6. Nonstop Disco Powerpack/The Beastie Boys (10) - 5/15/16 7. Mountain/Lucero (7) - last played on 4/29/12 8. Evergreen/Matthew Sweet (1) - played countless times on CD 9. The Sleeping Beauty/American Music

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon