Skip to main content

Saturday Song #2

I've realized something important about this new feature...it's going to be difficult to decide what song to write about each week. There are so many great songs, so how do I go about narrowing it down? As it happens, today (or yesterday, depending on which website you look at) is the 25th anniversary of the release of Out of Time, and learning that fact this morning made for an easy decision...

"Me In Honey" by R.E.M.

I knew a little about R.E.M. before 1991. I sang along on the radio to "The One I Love" in 1987 and again to "Stand" in 1988, but that was as far as I took it. In 1991, though, I was starting to branch out and try new music and "Losing My Religion" was all over the radio, so I bought my first R.E.M. album. It was not my last, to be sure. Speaking of last, the band has always had a way with album closers. Think "Wendell Gee" from Fables of the Reconstruction, "Electrolite" from New Adventures in Hi-Fi, "Little America" from Reckoning, and "Find the River" from Automatic for the People. "Me In Honey" fits right in.

It starts with that hypnotic guitar. You feel it too, right? It's a simple structure that I could listen to for a half hour straight. And yes, the bass is right there from the start too, easily supporting that guitar. There's a little bit of vocal too. Then Bill Berry gives two quick hits on the drums and we're off and running. It's a bouncy pop tune and Kate Pierson's wordless vocals draw you in immediately. Kate's from the B-52s, by the way, and is featured prominently on the record. I mentioned the bounce of the song and R.E.M. is doing that classic upbeat music paired with downbeat lyrics...

I sat there looking ugly
Looking ugly and mean
Knew what you were saying
You were saying to me
Baby's got some new rules
Baby said she's had it with me

Seems a shame to waste your time on me
Seems a lot to waste your time for me

Left me to love (or, and look?)
What it's doing to me

I've always heard the second in the last couplet but the lyrics online suggest it's the first. Either way, this song seems to be about a relationship that's falling apart, which is unfortunate, because later on we learn that...

Baby's got a baby with me
That's a part, that's a part of me

Things are not going well for the narrator, are they? He's definitely feeling sorry for himself, uttering...

What about me?

...a few times before the song ends. It's sad and depressing, except the music keeps it from feeling that way. It's a simple structure with Peter Buck's guitar and Mike Mills' bass in concert and Bill Berry adding some shaker into the mix at times, while still keeping that steady beat with the double taps all the way through. Pierson's vocals add a haunting quality to the song and Michael Stipe came up with a great melody. Who knew at the time that we'd have the main four for only three more albums?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Shuffle #413

Summer is here and I'm happy that it is. Jill finished school this week, but Grant and I have to go through Friday. I have the week off from my TTT course, so I'm going to catch up on some reading and TV. There was baseball I could watch yesterday and I can watch some again today, so you can bet I'll be doing that. Few things bring me joy more than baseball and a book in my lap for between innings. Here's today's ten... 1. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo)/The Decemberists (15) - last played on 8/19/15 2. Part One/Band of Horses (6) - last played on 5/7/16 3. Shame Chamber/Kurt Vile (5) - last played on 7/23/15 4. In the Eyes of My Friends/Sugar (2) - last played on 10/5/14 5. I Could Have Done This Myself/Lightspeed Champion (4) - last played on 9/1/14 6. Nonstop Disco Powerpack/The Beastie Boys (10) - 5/15/16 7. Mountain/Lucero (7) - last played on 4/29/12 8. Evergreen/Matthew Sweet (1) - played countless times on CD 9. The Sleeping Beauty/American Music

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon