Skip to main content

Sunday Solo Band (Sunday Shuffle #379)

Telekinesis is a band that's really a solo artist, Michael Benjamin Lerner. I first heard of him/them before the debut album came out in 2009. KEXP was playing one or two songs off Telekinesis! and I dug them. He/they are also on Merge Records, which usually means the music is quality. The first two albums are power pop goodness and the third stays in that territory but starts to incorporate some new sounds. Telekinesis just released their/his fourth album, Ad Infinitum, on Friday, and there are a lot of synthesizers and drum machines. This is not a problem because the music is great. Anyway, I've only heard the full album twice so far (once via NPR's First Listen and once via Spotify) and purchased it a few minutes ago so I could feature it and the band this morning. If you're not familiar with the music, I highly recommend checking it out.

1. 50 Ways (32) - from 12 Straight Desperate Lines
2. Towns Chapel (8) - bonus track from Domarion
3. Gotta Get It Right Now (26) - from 12 Straight Desperate Lines
4. Palm Of Your Hand (22) - from 12 Straight Desperate Lines
5. Non-Toxic (8) - from Parallel Seismic Conspiracies
6. Island #4 (15) - from Domarion
7. Sylvia (1) - from Ad Infinitum
8. I Got You (22) - from 12 Straight Desperate Lines
9. In a Future World (1) - from Ad Infinitum
10. Look To The East (19) - from Telekinesis!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Shuffle #413

Summer is here and I'm happy that it is. Jill finished school this week, but Grant and I have to go through Friday. I have the week off from my TTT course, so I'm going to catch up on some reading and TV. There was baseball I could watch yesterday and I can watch some again today, so you can bet I'll be doing that. Few things bring me joy more than baseball and a book in my lap for between innings. Here's today's ten... 1. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo)/The Decemberists (15) - last played on 8/19/15 2. Part One/Band of Horses (6) - last played on 5/7/16 3. Shame Chamber/Kurt Vile (5) - last played on 7/23/15 4. In the Eyes of My Friends/Sugar (2) - last played on 10/5/14 5. I Could Have Done This Myself/Lightspeed Champion (4) - last played on 9/1/14 6. Nonstop Disco Powerpack/The Beastie Boys (10) - 5/15/16 7. Mountain/Lucero (7) - last played on 4/29/12 8. Evergreen/Matthew Sweet (1) - played countless times on CD 9. The Sleeping Beauty/American Music

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon