Skip to main content

Fantastic Four Flashback #1

The new Fantastic Four movie opened this weekend and I imagine there are a lot of reviews of it that mention how unfantastic it is. I haven't read many reviews but the overwhelming consensus is that the movie is terrible. I hadn't planned on seeing it even before the reviews started appearing; the trailers did nothing but make me bored and annoyed that we had to reboot the origin yet again. I've had enough of super-hero movies that feel the need to do so. Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm? Absolutely, but give me something that excites me more than what I've seen. I may see this movie eventually, although I've still never seen Daredevil (the movie, that is) or Green Lantern or any number of reviled super-hero movies. I love comics but it's not a blind love.

I do like the Fantastic Four and I started to think how I could bring some positive experience with them into my life. It wasn't a comic I read growing up, which is a shame because I would have basically been able to start with John Byrne's run on the title in 1981. His first issue arrived around the time the comics bug bit me big. I have read some of his run, having discovred a bunch of those issues for cheap back at a Wizard World Chicago back in the 90s. I haven't had those issues for a decade at this point but thanks to my Marvel Unlimited subscription, I can go back and read the whole run. That's what I'm going to do, at a pace of one a day. Along the way, I'll jot down some thoughts on each issue...

Byrne's run as writer/artist begins with #232, an issue titled "Back to the Basics!" It starts with the villain Diablo monologuing about his plan to finally defeat the FF, which is humorously undercut by his landlady banging on his door and haranguing him about cooking in his room, which he is not supposed to do. Also? He uses the name Mr. Olbaid to disguise himself. At least anagram it, man!

We check in on each member of the team as Diablo's plot is put into motion - Sue is getting a new short haircut, Ben is out with Alicia and being moved by The Elephant Man, Johnny is trying to get a handle on his relationship with Frankie Raye, and Reed is doing science! They are attacked by elemental creatures and are momentarily flummoxed by them. Reed discovers the truth of them, thanks in part to the fire elemental not wanting to engage with The Human Torch. The idea that each of the FF corresponds to a different elemental is interesting - they all make sense as opposites, though Reed and water is the furthest reach.

Reed gets to show off his smarts. Johnny has his usual relationship issues and utters "Flame On!" Ben is shown as sensitive but also ready to rumble because "It's Clobberin' Time!" What's most interesting is that Sue is given a lot to do - she pushes herself past her usual limits and discovers she can use her powers to glide through the air ala Iceman's ice slides (it's specifically referenced). She's still Invisible Girl here but clearly on her way to becoming Invisible Woman.

Oh, I also want to mention a brief cameo by Doctor Strange, which shows off the interconnectedness of the Marvel Universe circa 1981. Pretty sure this run will feature many more guest stars.

Byrne's art is not as stylized as it became later on in this run; by the time I knew who he was on the mid-80s Superman books it looks quite a bit different from this. He inks himself under the alias Bjorn Heyn. The colors and lettering are all standard for the early 80s, which all makes sense to me but someone who's started reading comics recently may find quaint.

This is a solid issue and a good introduction to Byrne's long run on the book. If I had plucked this issue off the drugstore shelves when it came out, I certainly would have wanted more. Actually, that's still true today. This issue does not make me want to abandon this project; it only makes me what to see what's ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon...

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last ...

Sunday Shuffle #353

Last chance for Christmas music to be in the mix... 1. If I Can't Change Your Mind/Sugar (9) - last played on 10/5/13 2. Water Wings/Superchunk (17) - last played on 7/22/14 3. City Swan/Neko Case (19) - last played on 9/21/14 4. Great Dane/Mates Of State (5) - last played on 7/29/12 5. Technology/The Whigs (3) - last played on 1/1/12 6. Bay of Pigs/Destroyer (3) - last played on 10/30/14 7. Don't You Wanna Come Out/The Redwalls (4) - last played on 8/19/12 8. The Toro and The Toreador/Ted Leo (7) - last played on 1/20/13 9. Sacred Trickster/Sonic Youth (3) - last played on 5/20/12 10. Baby and the Band/Imperial Teen (4) - last played on 10/2/11 *Note on "Bay of Pigs": This is the single version; the version on Kaputt has 9 plays *Note on "The Toro and The Toreador": The credit should read Ted Leo/Pharmacists too many slashes are confusing