Skip to main content

Monthly Mix #3: Like A Shark Does

I realize that June has been gone for almost two weeks at this point but I didn't quite figure out if I wanted this to be a summer theme or just a collection of music again...and then I went on vacation. So, here I am with the June mix on July 12 and it's a cross between summer and a collection and also contains songs I discovered while on vacation. Whatever. In the end, it's a great group of songs and that's all that matters. As usual, the title comes from lyrics in one of the songs...a choice that may have been influenced by last night's Twitter explosion over Sharknado. I hope you listen (remember that it's on Spotify under my name) and enjoy...

1. Demon Dance/Surfer Blood - This is the lead track from their new album, Pythons, and is the perfect lead track for this mix. Pop rock and screaming guitars, what more could you want in the summer?

2. Swim and Sleep/Unknown Mortal Orchestra - I've heard this song here and there over the past few months and finally remembered to put it on a mix. I like the ethereal quality that balances its pop song structure. I really should dig deeper into this album (called II) too.

3. Smooth Sailing/Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork is a really really good album, full of great QOTSA rock. This song has a bit of a different feel, kinda dancy and angular, and I dig it. Check out the dissonant guitars at about 3:50.

4. Summer Ace/Young Sportsmen - Kevin Cole played this on KEXP on the first day of summer and I immediately liked it. Of course, I have a hard time turning down summery power pop. I am also completely fine with that fact.

5. Stare at the Sun/Eleanor Friedberger - This is from her second solo album, Personal Record, which came out a few weeks ago. She wrote the album with John Wesley Harding and they make a good team. This song in particular is so damn catchy.

6. High School Lover/Cayucas - Songs from this album have been floating around for a number of months now and I thought it was time to include one. The bass line is where this song hooks me and then the piano and background oohs and melody dig in deeper. School has been out for five weeks now but this still feels like summer, doesn't it?

7. Bus Stop/The Hollies - I heard this on Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius XM while I was driving the mile-and-a-half down to the country store at the lake while we were on vacation last week and loved it immediately. I didn't remember having heard it before, though I probably had at some point. Such a great tune and it fits perfectly with the rest of these songs.

8. Songs That She Sang In The Shower/Jason Isbell - This is from Isbell's fantastic new album, Southeastern, which will probably end up in my top ten for the year. It is that good. I like this song for the lyrics and the chorus. I almost called this mix Shower Songs because the others are in my head when I shower lately.

9. Do It Again/Camera Obscura - Oh, this song. Catchy, and sexy, and that voice. This is from their new album, Desire Lines, which came out a few weeks ago.

10. Rhythm Bruises/Har Mar Superstar - I heard a different song from this album, Bye Bye 17, on a summer mix from Heather Browne and decided to give it a try. This song really stood out for me and I think it fits with the rest of these songs pretty well. Also, horns.

11. For You/The Sugar Twins - I heard this one on the way home from New York on the aforementioned Underground Garage and tweeted at the DJ to remember the name of the artist. Fits in perfectly with the sexy portion of the mix, doesn't it?

12. Ain't That the Way/Divine Fits - The band follows up their great 2012 debut album with a "single" - two songs that further cement that this is not a one-off and is a true band. Both songs are really good but I favor this one just slightly...the riff, the bass, Britt Daniel's voice, the little wash of keys come together in such a great way.

13. Until The Good is Gone/Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul - This is the third song I got from Underground Garage on vacation and it's one from the head honcho. Apparently, it's from 1982. As a Springsteen guy, I probably should already have known it. Oh well, I do know. Horns and a great guitar solo.

14. Make Good Choices/Sean Nelson - Nelson was the driving force behind the band Harvey Danger, who had a hit in the 90s with "Flagpole Sitta" and then put out two more great albums that no one paid attention to. This is the title track from his first solo album and it's full of tuneful, smart songs like this one.

15. I Like The Things About Me/Mavis Staples - This is from Mavis's new album, One True Vine, which was once again produced by Jeff Tweedy from Wilco. The bass and drums form a great bed for this song and when you add Mavis's powerhouse of a voice with the chorus behind her and that guitar that comes in. So so good, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Shuffle #413

Summer is here and I'm happy that it is. Jill finished school this week, but Grant and I have to go through Friday. I have the week off from my TTT course, so I'm going to catch up on some reading and TV. There was baseball I could watch yesterday and I can watch some again today, so you can bet I'll be doing that. Few things bring me joy more than baseball and a book in my lap for between innings. Here's today's ten... 1. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo)/The Decemberists (15) - last played on 8/19/15 2. Part One/Band of Horses (6) - last played on 5/7/16 3. Shame Chamber/Kurt Vile (5) - last played on 7/23/15 4. In the Eyes of My Friends/Sugar (2) - last played on 10/5/14 5. I Could Have Done This Myself/Lightspeed Champion (4) - last played on 9/1/14 6. Nonstop Disco Powerpack/The Beastie Boys (10) - 5/15/16 7. Mountain/Lucero (7) - last played on 4/29/12 8. Evergreen/Matthew Sweet (1) - played countless times on CD 9. The Sleeping Beauty/American Music

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon