Skip to main content

Comics 2011

I spent 2011 doing what I usually do when it comes to comics - waffling. I've been playing the singles vs. trades game for a decade now and it gets pretty tiring. I started off 2011 buying quite a few series on a regular basis before I decided to stop in late May. I then picked up one comic in July and one again in August. The big DC relaunch drew me back in September and October but I resisted in November before picking up handful this month. In all, I bought 114 single issues.

I also read 19 trades, which seems like less than usual. I did take long periods of time to get some trades read. Yet another product of the stress of my two semesters with English classes I wanted to do well in. The trades were mixtures of previously-read collected material and things that were new to me

Here's a few of my favorite comics this year, no matter the format...

Batgirl - I didn't see this one coming. Conor from iFanboy had been recommending this series, so I took a shot and discovered he was right. The Batgirl of this series is Stephanie Brown, who was a competent and compelling super-hero. Bryan Q. Miller did a great job writing and the art was solid, with occasionally spectacular work by Dustin Nguyen. When I stopped buying singles, I lost out on this. Once DC relaunched in September, Stephanie Brown was no longer Batgirl. I will, however, be getting the 3 trades that comprise this run.

Daytripper - I read this in trade format and fell completely in love. It's the story of Bras de Oliva Domingos, who is an obituarist and son of a famous writer. Something major happens at the end of the first issue and from there, the series is an amazing look at life. I already knew Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon were great artists (and boy, do they prove that again in this book) but it turns out they're great writers too. An outstanding work of art.

Detective Comics - So, Batman died. Don't worry, he's alive again and it happened even before the DC relaunch. In between, however, Dick Grayson took over the mantle of Batman. Scott Synder wrote his adventures in this title with amazing art by Jock and Francesco Francavilla. It was great comics and I didn't finish the run because I stopped buying singles. I got the collection of them all for Christmas, though. Can't wait to dig in.

Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. - I didn't read this comic when it originally came out back in 2006-07, though I certainly heard good things about it. After reading this collection, I know that praise was justified. Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen produced 12 issues of this hilarious Marvel series. It's so much fun.

The Unwritten - This comic was the last one I read in May before I traded in all my comics. I've missed it the whole time since then. I will be catching up in early 2012, to be sure. It's a story about stories by Mike Carey and Peter Gross and it is brilliant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Shuffle #413

Summer is here and I'm happy that it is. Jill finished school this week, but Grant and I have to go through Friday. I have the week off from my TTT course, so I'm going to catch up on some reading and TV. There was baseball I could watch yesterday and I can watch some again today, so you can bet I'll be doing that. Few things bring me joy more than baseball and a book in my lap for between innings. Here's today's ten... 1. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo)/The Decemberists (15) - last played on 8/19/15 2. Part One/Band of Horses (6) - last played on 5/7/16 3. Shame Chamber/Kurt Vile (5) - last played on 7/23/15 4. In the Eyes of My Friends/Sugar (2) - last played on 10/5/14 5. I Could Have Done This Myself/Lightspeed Champion (4) - last played on 9/1/14 6. Nonstop Disco Powerpack/The Beastie Boys (10) - 5/15/16 7. Mountain/Lucero (7) - last played on 4/29/12 8. Evergreen/Matthew Sweet (1) - played countless times on CD 9. The Sleeping Beauty/American Music

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon