Skip to main content

Saturday Night's Alright for Blogging

I'm full from a great meal at a local Italian place (Pesto's, for those in the area/know) and watching the World Series, so I thought I'd jot a few things down between innings.

I had to give up on a book today and not because I wasn't liking it. I checked The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides out from the library last Friday; I'd even gone so far as to request it a while ago so I got first crack at   a copy. The problem, however, is that this far in the semester I don't have much time to read for pleasure and I'd only managed 47 pages in a week's time. Too many other people want to read it, which means I can't renew it, so I decided to cut my losses. I like what I've read so far and I will get back to it at some point.

I have Colson Whitehead's Zone One waiting for me at the library right now and I'm going to pick it up Monday or Tuesday. I have a better shot at finishing it because it's a shorter book and I have an upcoming four day weekend thanks to fall break from the day job.

In the meantime I need to start reading Wuthering Heights for my English class now that we've finished our many weeks reading Tom Jones. I read Wuthering Heights more than once in high school because I liked it a lot. It's been more than 20 years since I've read it, so I'm interested to see what my adult brain makes of it.

I still have things to read outside of my school work. I actually started making a dent in my SF magazine pile, though new issues arriving have restored the pile to its original height in the last week. I've also been working through my pile of trades and picking up some single issues. The relaunched DC had me curious and most of what I've read has been pretty strong.

After lamenting to Muzzle of Bees over Twitter at the fact he doesn't do his podcasts anymore, I've spent much of the afternoon and evening listening to playlists he's posted to Spotify. Some good listening.

Speaking of music, how have I not heard of One Week One Band before today? I've got some archive digging ahead of me there.

I guess that's about it until the morning's Sunday Shuffle..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Shuffle #413

Summer is here and I'm happy that it is. Jill finished school this week, but Grant and I have to go through Friday. I have the week off from my TTT course, so I'm going to catch up on some reading and TV. There was baseball I could watch yesterday and I can watch some again today, so you can bet I'll be doing that. Few things bring me joy more than baseball and a book in my lap for between innings. Here's today's ten... 1. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo)/The Decemberists (15) - last played on 8/19/15 2. Part One/Band of Horses (6) - last played on 5/7/16 3. Shame Chamber/Kurt Vile (5) - last played on 7/23/15 4. In the Eyes of My Friends/Sugar (2) - last played on 10/5/14 5. I Could Have Done This Myself/Lightspeed Champion (4) - last played on 9/1/14 6. Nonstop Disco Powerpack/The Beastie Boys (10) - 5/15/16 7. Mountain/Lucero (7) - last played on 4/29/12 8. Evergreen/Matthew Sweet (1) - played countless times on CD 9. The Sleeping Beauty/American Music

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon