Skip to main content

Leftover Magicians

While I've spent the last 3 days tearing through The Cut by George Pelecanos, I'd like to take a few minutes to talk about the previous two books I read (outside of Robinson Crusoe, which we just read in my British Novel class and about which I need to write a paper by Wednesday)...

I read Lev Grossman's The Magicians around the time it was published two years ago. In fact, I wrote a little about it here. While I liked the novel and found the ideas to be interesting, I didn't love the main character, Quentin Coldwater. That concern completely disappeared in the just-published sequel, The Magician King. King Quentin has actually matured since the events in the first book and while he isn't perfect, he was much more readable. The new novel also alternates the action in the present with chapters of Julia's story, which runs concurrent with the first book. The Magician King just felt stronger overall and it not only makes me ready for the third book in the series but makes me want to reread The Magicians. Highly recommended.

I came to Tom Perrotta through a movie adaptation. Election is one of my all-time favorite movies and when I discovered it was based on a book, I'd found a new writer to check out. I can't remember if I read that book or his Little Children first but I've been a fan ever since. His new novel is The Leftovers and it's the story of a family dealing with the aftermath of the Sudden Departure, which was maybe/maybe not the Rapture. The Garvey family came through the even intact but have since fractured, searching for relationships that will allow them to make sense of what happened to their friends, acquaintances, the world. The choices they make are not always good ones but in the end they all find a measure of peace, even if that peace isn't rational. Also recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon...

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last ...

Sunday Shuffle #353

Last chance for Christmas music to be in the mix... 1. If I Can't Change Your Mind/Sugar (9) - last played on 10/5/13 2. Water Wings/Superchunk (17) - last played on 7/22/14 3. City Swan/Neko Case (19) - last played on 9/21/14 4. Great Dane/Mates Of State (5) - last played on 7/29/12 5. Technology/The Whigs (3) - last played on 1/1/12 6. Bay of Pigs/Destroyer (3) - last played on 10/30/14 7. Don't You Wanna Come Out/The Redwalls (4) - last played on 8/19/12 8. The Toro and The Toreador/Ted Leo (7) - last played on 1/20/13 9. Sacred Trickster/Sonic Youth (3) - last played on 5/20/12 10. Baby and the Band/Imperial Teen (4) - last played on 10/2/11 *Note on "Bay of Pigs": This is the single version; the version on Kaputt has 9 plays *Note on "The Toro and The Toreador": The credit should read Ted Leo/Pharmacists too many slashes are confusing