Skip to main content

Heavy Rotation #15

Here's what I've been listening to the last two weeks or so...

Clem Snide/The Meat of Life - This album made was in a Heavy Rotation just over a year ago, after it first came out. A recommendation of one of their earlier albums by Stephen Thompson on Pop Culture Happy Hour sent me back to this one. These songs are literate folk pop explorations of sublime despair...or something like that. Highlights include "Walmart Parking Lot," "I Got High," and "The Great Barrier Reef."

Middle Brother/Middle Brother - This is a group featuring the leads in the bands Dawes, Delta Spirit, and Deer Tick. They each bring a set of songs to the table but collaborate on them with beautiful harmonies and great guitars. I'll have more to say when I get around to reviewing the whole album in my 2011 run-through, which I still plan to do.

The Shins/Wincing the Night Away - This is an album that makes me think of spring, in part because I think it came out in the spring of 2007 (a quick check show it came out in late Jan. of that year but I'm sure I played it for a few months). The other part is the sunny melodies and instrumentation found throughout. I think it's an ambitious set of songs and there's not a weak link in the bunch. Hope we get a new one from them by the end of the year..

Sloan/Action Pact - Fans of the band tend to look down on this album and when I first got it, I would have agreed with them. The more I listened, however, the more I liked it and it's something I return to from time to time. The songs veer more towards rock than power pop, maybe, but they are good songs. Is it my favorite Sloan album? No, but that doesn't mean it should be dismissed.

Spoon/A Series of Sneaks - My friend Trevor made a comment about "Advance Cassette" on Twitter a few weeks back and it was enough to send me into this album once again. That song is excellent, one of Spoon's best, but there are others to enjoy here as well - "Metal Detektor," "Metal School," and "Reservations," for starters. My version also tacks on the two "Lafitte" tracks, which are also quite good.

Teenage Fanclub/Bandwagonesque - I turned 40 a month ago and have been thinking about 1991 quite a bit. That year was a big one for me musically and it's also half of my life ago. I didn't have this album when it came out, which is a shame. I would have loved it then as much as I love it now. Come for one of the best album openers ever in "The Concept" and stay for the power pop goodness.

Yuck/Yuck - Speaking of the 90s, this album celebrates the best of the decade's music in one package. They're a little bit Teenage Fanclub and a little bit Dinosaur Jr. and a little bit Smashing Pumpkins (in the good way). Here's the key, though, good songs. Highly recommended and a more in depth review coming at some point.

Comments

  1. I bought "Bandwagonesque" soon after it came out in 1991 because I read a really good review of it in Spin and I had heard "The Concept" and "Star Sign" on 120 Minutes. I was just 16 at the time, but I loved this album as much as a certain album by some guys from Seattle. I blame my love of British Alternative music. This is still a pretty good album to this day, but I do think the production on the album is rather flat. My favorite is "Guiding Star".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Shuffle #413

Summer is here and I'm happy that it is. Jill finished school this week, but Grant and I have to go through Friday. I have the week off from my TTT course, so I'm going to catch up on some reading and TV. There was baseball I could watch yesterday and I can watch some again today, so you can bet I'll be doing that. Few things bring me joy more than baseball and a book in my lap for between innings. Here's today's ten... 1. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo)/The Decemberists (15) - last played on 8/19/15 2. Part One/Band of Horses (6) - last played on 5/7/16 3. Shame Chamber/Kurt Vile (5) - last played on 7/23/15 4. In the Eyes of My Friends/Sugar (2) - last played on 10/5/14 5. I Could Have Done This Myself/Lightspeed Champion (4) - last played on 9/1/14 6. Nonstop Disco Powerpack/The Beastie Boys (10) - 5/15/16 7. Mountain/Lucero (7) - last played on 4/29/12 8. Evergreen/Matthew Sweet (1) - played countless times on CD 9. The Sleeping Beauty/American Music

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon