Skip to main content

2011 Book #1: The Hunger Games

This is the first book in the celebrated trilogy by Suzanne Collins and the first book I read on my new Nook Color. I'd been vaguely aware of this series but it wasn't until the release of the third book this fall and a conversation in Indianapolis with Trevor before seeing The National that I made the decision to read it. I'm very glad I did.

The Hunger Games takes place in a future where America is no more - in its place is something called Panem, which is dominated by the Capitol. The Capitol rules over 12 Districts and once a year uses the Hunger Games as a way of reminding the districts of that dominance. During the Games, each District sends one boy and one girl to compete in a match for the death. The winning child brings fame and fortune back home with them. It is a completely barbaric system that everyone had to go along with.

We are introduced to Katniss Everdeen. She is the older of two daughters who live with their mother (their father died in a coal mining accident). Their mother is not a very effective one and Katniss helps feed the family through hunting in the forbidden forest zone, keeping some food for the family and trading the rest for other supplies. Against all odds, her little sister Prim's name is pulled to be a participant in the Hunger Games and Katniss volunteers to take her place. The novel follows her and she and Peeta, the other tribute from District 12, make their way through everything associated with the Games.

The novel is quite a page-turner, especially once the Games start in earnest. Not only are we interested in how she makes her way through the slaughter but also in her developing relationship with Peeta. It is a sad, defiant, horrific, and occasionally humorous story. Katniss earns her personal growth by her actions and reactions. When it appears she might have made it, things seem to get even worse (and no, that's not quite a spoiler).

My next decision is whether to download and read the next book in the trilogy now or to read a book or two in between, so as the savor the series. I honestly don't know which way I'll go but I do know I'll finish the trilogy within the next few months either way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon...

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last ...

Sunday Shuffle #353

Last chance for Christmas music to be in the mix... 1. If I Can't Change Your Mind/Sugar (9) - last played on 10/5/13 2. Water Wings/Superchunk (17) - last played on 7/22/14 3. City Swan/Neko Case (19) - last played on 9/21/14 4. Great Dane/Mates Of State (5) - last played on 7/29/12 5. Technology/The Whigs (3) - last played on 1/1/12 6. Bay of Pigs/Destroyer (3) - last played on 10/30/14 7. Don't You Wanna Come Out/The Redwalls (4) - last played on 8/19/12 8. The Toro and The Toreador/Ted Leo (7) - last played on 1/20/13 9. Sacred Trickster/Sonic Youth (3) - last played on 5/20/12 10. Baby and the Band/Imperial Teen (4) - last played on 10/2/11 *Note on "Bay of Pigs": This is the single version; the version on Kaputt has 9 plays *Note on "The Toro and The Toreador": The credit should read Ted Leo/Pharmacists too many slashes are confusing