Skip to main content

Sunday Slack (Sunday Shuffle #420)

I'm not super excited about my title for this specific band's shuffle, but they were often described as "slacker rock" back in the 90s and it fits my alliterative parameter, so here we are. I heard their cover of "The Killing Moon" on KEXP last month and it is amazing. I've been playing it a lot (via Spotify) and digging into their music again. This is another band I love that I was ignorant of during that decade (see also Superchunk, Teenage Fanclub, etc.). I have all five albums on iTunes plus an extra track and as I'm typing this I realize I should probably download the other songs of their "greatest hits" before I actually shuffle, so (virutally) stand by...

Okay, that's sorted. At some point I really need to rip the deluxe editions of their first two albums as well, but for now, let's get to the music. Oh, the band? Pavement.

1. Unseen Power Of The Picket Fence (1) - from No Alternative
2. Major Leagues (16) - from Terror Twilight
3. Best Friend's Arm (13) - from Wowee Zowee
4. Summer Babe (Winter Version) (13) - from Slanted & Enchanted
5. Shady Lane (14) - from Brighten The Corners
6. AT&T (13) - from Wowee Zowee
7. Our Singer (8) - from Slanted & Enchanted
8. Stop Breathin (13) - from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
9. Shoot The Singer (1 Sick Verse) (1) - from Quarantine the Past
10. Kennel District (21) - from Wowee Zowee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heavy Rotation #37

This past Friday was a big release day, with 4 new albums that I will probably be listening to over and over again. That means it's probably time to write about what I've been into over the last month-and-a-half or so. Sound good? Phoebe Bridgers/Stranger in the Alps - Before last fall, I hadn't listened to any of Bridgers' music. Sure, I knew of her, but that was it. It wasn't until Boygenius (the group she's in with Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus) that I really heard anything she'd done. Their EP is great, so I thought it was time to expand my horizons and give this one a listen. Better late than never is a cliche for a reason, right? Anyway, the album starts off very strong with "Smoke Signals" and "Motion Sickness." The former is contemplative and moody and lovely with killer lyrics while the latter is more prickly and up-tempo with (again) killer lyrics. It's a strong start to the album. If I had to pick one track to get someon...

Sunday Shuffle #479

I don't know if it's the weather, nostalgia, or something else, but I woke up feeling like I wanted to do a Sunday Shuffle today. I barely open up iTunes anymore and haven't downloaded new music into it in a long time...which also means I haven't listened to a lot of the music I have stored there in a while. So, this is simultaneously old and new in a way and that feels interesting to me this morning. Let's get to today's ten... 1. Pulling On A Line/Great Lake Swimmers (6) - last played on 11/8/15 2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/U2 (7) - last played on 5/19/13 3. Us/Spoon (4) - last played on 11/24/17 4. Meat Is Murder/Shout Out Louds (6) - last played on 12/11/16 5. Different Days/Jason Isbell (11) - last played on 6/1/17 6. Another Way I Could Do It/Sloan (34) - last played on 6/22/18 7. Wizard Buys A Hat/The Mountain Goats (8) - last played on 2/12/17 8. Decks Dark/Radiohead (8) - last played on 7/10/18 9. Luisa/Jay Gonzalez (13) - last ...

Sunday Shuffle #353

Last chance for Christmas music to be in the mix... 1. If I Can't Change Your Mind/Sugar (9) - last played on 10/5/13 2. Water Wings/Superchunk (17) - last played on 7/22/14 3. City Swan/Neko Case (19) - last played on 9/21/14 4. Great Dane/Mates Of State (5) - last played on 7/29/12 5. Technology/The Whigs (3) - last played on 1/1/12 6. Bay of Pigs/Destroyer (3) - last played on 10/30/14 7. Don't You Wanna Come Out/The Redwalls (4) - last played on 8/19/12 8. The Toro and The Toreador/Ted Leo (7) - last played on 1/20/13 9. Sacred Trickster/Sonic Youth (3) - last played on 5/20/12 10. Baby and the Band/Imperial Teen (4) - last played on 10/2/11 *Note on "Bay of Pigs": This is the single version; the version on Kaputt has 9 plays *Note on "The Toro and The Toreador": The credit should read Ted Leo/Pharmacists too many slashes are confusing